Summer is finally here and with the warm weather there is no shortage of great events (many of them free!) for families in Peterborough and surrounding area. Here are just some of the activities in which you and your family can participate!
- City of Peterborough’s Junior Parks Program, a free drop-in run daily from July 4th to August 11th at 6 local parks throughout the city. Games, crafts and special theme days are designed for children aged 4-8. Click the link or call the Recreation Division at 742-7777 x 1805 for more information.
- Peterborough Public Library: Preschool Drop in Story times – Tuesdays at 10:45 am in the Story corner (Ptbo. Square)
- Peterborough Museum and Archives: Every Sunday from 1-4 pm drop-in to the museum and participate in crafts and activities related to the current exhibitions. For more information click the link or call 705-743-5180.
- Hutchinson House: Beginning July 4th, join the folks at Hutchinson House for a traditional Scottish Tea happening daily (Tuesday – Sunday) from 1-4pm. Lemonade, fresh baked scones and other yummy treats will be available. $7 for adults and youths, $5 for children under 10 and free for children under 5. Click the link or call (705) 743-9710 for more information.
- Lang Pioneer Village: Enjoy an interactive pioneer experience at this unique museum that recreates 19th century rural Keene, Ontario. Enjoy some traditional pioneer music, demonstrations of traditional chores and pastimes, and horse and wagon rides! Click the link or call (705) 295-6694 for information.
- Indian River Reptile Zoo: The only non-profit reptile zoo in Canada, featuring over 200 reptiles, Canada’s largest crocodile slide, life-sized dinosaurs and more! Click the link or call 705-639-1443 for more information
- Riverview Park and Zoo: Canada’s Only Free-Admission accredited zoo. Sunday Summer Concert Series, Meet the Keeper events and more. Click the link or call (705) 745-6866 for more information.
- Canadian Canoe Museum – Thursdays are FREE admission nights, from 5 -8 pm. Click the link or call 866-342-2663 for more information.
- The Ben van Veen Summer Family Film Series is a free outdoor movie going experience in Millennium Park. The movies start at dusk! Click the link for their Facebook page and a full schedule.
- Movies in the Park at Cenotaph Park Lakefield: Enjoy free family movies in the park every Thursday night in July and August. Vendors and activities start at 6 p.m., movie starts before dusk. Bring your own lawn chairs and/or blankets. Click here for a list of movies
- Berry Farms and Farmers Markets
- Maclean Berry Farm: Lakefield, Click link or call 705-657-2134
- Buckhorn Berry Farm: Buckhorn, Click link or call 1-705-657-8888
- Ouse Valley Gardens: Indian River, Click link or call 705-639-5887
- Lakefield Farmer’s Market: Thursday mornings 9-2pm
- Peterborough Downtown Farmer’s Market: Wednesday mornings 8:30-2pm in the Louis Street Parking lot on Charlotte Street
- Peterborough Farmer’s Market: Saturday mornings 7-1pm at Morrow Park
- Supervised Beaches, Splash Pads and Wading Pools
- There are two City beaches open to the public for supervised swimming seven days a week (11am-6pm) from June 30 – August 27, 2017:
- Beavermead Beach on Ashburnham Drive
- Rogers Cove on Maria Street
- There are five Wading Pools open to the public and supervised seven days a week (11:30am-4:30pm) from June 30 – August 27, 2017:
- Barnardo Park, Northminster Ave. and Sunset Blvd.
- Knights of Columbus, Park St. and Lake St.
- Turner Park, High St. and Chamberlain St.
- Otonabee Park, Southlawn Dr. and Severn Rd.
- John Taylor Memorial Park, McKellar St. & St. Catherine St.
- Splash pads are located in the following parks and are open daily June to September from 9:00am-8:00 pm, they are not supervised by lifeguards:
- King Edward Park, George Street
- Nicholls Oval, Parkhill Road
- Rogers Cove
- West-End, Sherbrooke Street
- Peterborough Zoo
- Summer Special Events
- The Bash 150: All day on June 30, Hunter St. from George to Aylmer streets will close for pedestrians only. Catfish Willie and Washboard Hank get the music started with a performance at the Peterborough Square Courtyard. Family entertainment throughout the afternoon includes a colouring contest, face painting, a movie in Millennium Park as well as puppets and magic shows. Also there will be various art projects to check out.
- TD Summer Reading Club: At various libraries throughout Peterborough City and County – Receive a FREE Reading Kit when you register at your local library.
- Multicultural Canada Day Festival: Opening Ceremonies at City Hall and Parade at noon. Free face painting in Confederation Park and a bicycle decorating contest. Also, at Del Crary Park, including the Art Gallery of Peterborough; food, fun family activities, music, faces painting and more! Click the link or call (705) 743-0882 for more information.
- Family Free Fishing Week – Try out fishing during this “license free” week from July 1st to 9th.
- Peterborough Music Fest: Free Summer-long Music Festival happening Wednesday and Saturday evenings at Del Crary Park.
- Heritage Day: July 2nd Peterborough Museum & Archives & Peterborough Lift locks. Fun Entertainment and tours for the whole family.
- Peterborough Pulse: July 15th From 9am-3pm George St will be transformed into a car-free activity area for families.
- Cobourg Waterfront Festival: July 1st-3rd
- Lakefield Literary Festival: July 14th-16th. Make sure to visit the free Children’s event on July 15th
- Ennismore Shamrock Festival: July 21st-23rd Includes family activities on the Saturday as well as sports tournaments and fireworks.
- Cobourg Sand Castle Festival: Aug 5th
- Peterborough Exhibition: August 10th-13th
- Peterborough Folk Festival: August 18th-20th at Nicholls Oval. A weekend long event family event full of music and vendors.
- Hastings Waterfront Festival: August 18th – 20th Click the link or call 705-696-1697 for more information.
With all that choice, why not try something new with your family, or narrow down a “bucket list” of Summer 2017 activities and events. Whatever you choose, make the most of this special time of year and enjoy!
Prenatal/Postpartum Supports in Peterborough
- Peterborough Regional Health Centre: A Registered Nurse/Lactation Consultant can provide breast feeding support by appointment. During a typical appointment, a feeding is assessed, so it is important to see the Lactation Consultant close to the baby’s feeding time. The Breastfeeding Clinic is located inroom W6609 in the Pediatric Outpatient area on the 6th Floor of PRHC. To make an appointment, call the Maternal Child Unit A6 at (705) 876-5059. To speak with the lactation consultant directly, please call (705) 743-2121 ext. 2735.
- Le Leche League Breastfeeding Support: You are always welcome to attend LLLC meetingsbefore and after you have had your baby. Bring your breastfeeding questions and concerns, talk about your joys and challenges or come and just listen. Babies and young children are always welcome, and some groups include father/partners in some or all their meetings. Contact Email: email@example.com , Contact Phone: 705-740-6188.
- Lansdowne Place Walk-in Clinic: 2nd level of Canadian Superstore, walk-in patients welcomed; no appointment needed. Call 705-775-1516 for information.
- Peterborough Day Clinic: Walk-in clinic at 26 Hospital Drive for those with a doctor in that building. Mon. to Thurs. 8:30am to 5pm & Fri. 9am to 4pm. call 705-743-2040 for more information.
- VON 360 Nurse Practitioner Led Clinic: For those who do not have another health care provider. Same day appointments available. Mon. to Thurs. 9am to 4:30pm & Fri. 9am to noon. Call 705-874-3900 for more information.
Are you in crisis?
- Women’s Health Care Centre: counseling, information and resources for moms and moms-to-be experiencing mood changes and seeking support. Call 705-743-4132.
- Social Worker or Mental Health Clinician through Family Health Teams (your doctor) including Partners in Pregnancy: referrals can be made through your doctor or nurse practitioner for free counseling.
- 4-County Crisis Response: Phone line providing counseling and community resources 24/7. Call 705-745-6484 or 1-866-995-9933.
- Community Counseling & Resource Centre: by appointment individual or group counseling as well as housing and credit supports. Wait list does exist; call 705-743-2272.
- Healthy Babies Healthy Children Program: A home visits by Public Health Nurse can meet with you about you concerns, advocate on your behalf for supports. Call 705-743-1000 to register.
- Housing Resource Centre: Call 705-743-9122 to speak to someone about housing supports for you and your family.
- YWCA: START program: access to support for violence, abuse, legal, and other issues through this program that runs on Mondays. Call 1-800-461-7656 to speak to a crisis worker 24hrs/day
- Kinark Family Services: Supports, treatments programs and intervention programs for families of children and youth with mental health concerns. Call 705-742-3803 to speak to a crisis worker.